SWPL Sky Sports Cup: Celtic, Glasgow City, Rangers, Hibernian, Spartans, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Glasgow Women reach the quarter-finals | football news

Defending champions Celtic are through to the SWPL Sky Sports Cup quarter-finals after a 2-0 win over Partick Thistle.

Fran Alonso’s side started well and took an early lead after Amy Gallacher’s quick free kick led to Lucy Ashworth-Clifford opening the scoring at Petershill Park.

It was 2-0 for the champions after 26 minutes when a well-crafted team play, with Gallacher involved again, resulted in Jacynta finding the back of the net.

A spirited second-half performance by Thistle gave manager Brian Graham some confidence, however, it was not enough to prevent Celtic from advancing to Tuesday’s quarter-final draw.

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Celtic women boss Fran Alonso believes his team can improve further after beating Partick Thistle

“The result is fantastic because we are in the quarter-finals,” said Alonso.

“I think for 30 minutes we were outstanding, I loved how the team played and the pace was great.

“I think we were bad for 60 minutes, at least by the standards we want. We didn’t stick to the game plan, but overall I have to be happy because the most important thing is to pass.”

“It is our dream to be at least in the final and we are one step closer, so I am very happy about that.”

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Partick Thistle Women boss Brian Graham reflects on the 2-0 loss to Celtic in the SWPL Sky Sports Cup

Despite the loss, Partick Thistle boss Graham said: “I thought in the second half we were good in the game.

“For a team that has been flying this season, I think we had them on edge for much of the second half.

“Overall, my girls gave it their all, especially in the second half, and I’m disappointed for them that they couldn’t get that goal.”

Glasgow City 5-0 Aberdeen

Joining Celtic in the quarter-finals are Glasgow City, who edged out Aberdeen thanks to a 5-0 victory over the Dons.

Last season’s SWPL 1 Player of the Year Priscila Chinchilla put the six-time champions ahead after firing in a cross from Lauren Davidson.

In the second half, the duo became involved again, as this time Chinchilla was brought down in the box by Aberdeen goalkeeper Aaliyah-Jay Meach and Davidson rose to double Glasgow City’s lead.

Amy Muir’s throw-in found Emily Whelan, who blasted past the Dons’ defense and made it 3-0 with an excellent shot into the top corner before becoming Davidson’s provider for her second and fourth game. GlasgowCity.

Meikayla Moore scored the final goal, a first for the club, after finding Hayley Lauder’s free kick to seal the win.

Queen’s Park 0-5 Rangers

SWPL 1 champions Rangers overcame Queen’s Park, thanks in part to a Kirsty Howat hat-trick.

Malky Thomson’s team took just six minutes to make the breakthrough when Howat deflected Kayla McCoy’s shot into goal, who beat Queen’s Park goalkeeper Lauren Grant at the second attempt.

The Rangers were up 2-0 with 20 minutes played when Jodi McLeary got on the scoreboard after Grant denied Kayla McCoy.

Howat had his second and the Rangers’ third before the break when he scored Colette Cavanagh’s shot.

Kirsty Maclean made it 4-0, converting a cross from Maddie Nolf, before Howat hit her hat-trick in the closing stages, beating Grant.

Hamilton Scholar 0-8 Hibernian

The biggest win of the second round went to Hibernian, who won 8-0 at Hamilton Accies.

Crystal Thomas opened the scoring, first reacting to a fumble from Eilidh Adams’ shot, before doubling her tally 10 minutes later from a through ball from Shannon McGregor.

It was a dream start for striker Thomas, who then scored Hibs’ third and hat-trick in the 33rd minute after a clever link-up play with Adams.

In the second half, Adams and McGregor entered the picture before a brace from Krystyna Freda and a 90th-minute header from Rosie Livingstone saw Hibs seal their biggest win of the season.

Hearts 1-1 Spartans (Spartans win 5-4 on penalties)

Spartans again earned bragging rights in the Edinburgh derby with victory over Hearts on penalties.

It was the perfect start for the visiting team who took the lead after just nine minutes when captain Alana Marshall’s corner kick evaded everyone and flew into the back of the net.

However, substitute Rebecca McAllister, who joined on a permanent deal from Celtic in the summer, drew Hearts.

Extra time failed to separate the two teams, and despite the Spartans missing their first penalty, they won the shootout 5–4 when Katie Rood watched as Rachel Harrison saved her penalty.

Motherwell 2-1 Dundee United

Motherwell are also through to the quarter-finals despite Dundee United’s comeback.

Kaela McDonald-Nguah fired her side into the lead when a shot from distance flew into the top corner after just 18 minutes.

Motherwell had a second half before halftime when Gill Inglis was also in action, finding the same corner from distance.

Dundee United pulled one back early in the second half through Tammy Harkin, however it was not enough to prevent a cup exit.

Stirling University 1-2 Glasgow Women

Glasgow Women avoided an upset with a 2-1 victory over SWPL 2 Stirling University, who took an early lead through Ann Taylor.

The Glasgow team, who had not won this season, responded in the second half with goals from Louisa Boyes and Hannah Cunningham to reach the quarter-finals, despite a late dismissal.

Kilmarnock 2-0 Gartcairn

Kilmarnock are the only SWPL 2 team left in the competition after beating Gartcairn.

Abby Robinson crossed for Kirsty O’Brien, who nodded to the opening goal after 34 minutes and a second-half penalty from Alex Middleton sealed Killie’s place in the quarter-finals and avenged defeat in a meeting between the teams early in the season.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *